Monday, September 15, 2014

"Mother Tongue": Language vs. Intelligence

Many people today grow up with several cultures and languages in their home. More than half of the world’s population is bilingual (Grosjean). About 20.8% of the American population speaks a different language than English in their homes (Badger). The percentage of people who “don’t speak English very well” is constantly growing in the United States. Yet these people hold everyday jobs and are able to live in a country where the language is foreign to them, possibly facing discrimination as a result. In “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan, Tan discusses the issue of people associating “broken” English with low intelligence.
Growing up with her mother who didn't speak English fluently, Tan has been able to see how her mother’s language skills have had certain limitations in life such as low respect from others. For example, the doctors did not take Tan’s mother seriously as a result of the fact that she did not speak “proper English” (Tan, 78). Because the doctors heard her limited English, they thought they would be able to brush her off without any consequences, probably because they believed that she couldn't comprehend the situation. Tan goes on to explain that her, “mothers expressive command of English belies how much she actually understands. She reads the Forbes report, listens to Wall Street Week, converses daily with her stockbroker…” (Tan 77). This clearly shows in the text that Tan’s mothers limited English does not actually reflect her level of intelligence – a misconception made by many people. Some people may hear that someone does not speak their language fluently, thus believing that they are not capable of any intelligent or complex thoughts. This could result in the manifestation of discrimination and racism, consequently leaving an ill-informed society behind.
My particular opinions on this topic root from personal experiences. When I was younger, I remember limiting my own English when talking to people who actually have limited English. I had a certain belief that they would not understand what I was saying if I spoke fluently. Although I may not have admitted it then, I now see that the thoughts actually going on in my head were that the person had a lower intelligence than I did. And then I moved to the United States, with my dad who speaks no English whatsoever. My father is a man with a high ego and believes that what people think is significant to shaping who you are as a person. My father used to make me or my mother speak on the phone on behalf of him because he didn't want people to hear his limited English, and judge him based on that. There were events where cashiers or bank accountants would purposefully avoid big words or complex ideas when communicating with him. It was apparent that my dad’s accent and broken English gave them a perception that his intellect was as limited as his language skills. Because this went on for a long time, my mindset about this issue quickly evolved. I got into the habit of seeing everyone with “limited English” just as intelligent as my father, who I believe is very intelligent. I began to understand that comparing someone’s aptitude with their language skills is ignorant, but also basic human nature. It is an issue that goes on today in every country. Believing that someone is lesser than you can promote all sorts of judgment and discrimination.  It is vital to remember that people come with all sorts of thoughts and ideas, in all sorts of languages. I've come to learn that even if someone cannot communicate their thoughts with my language, it doesn't mean that they do not think these thoughts at all. When speaking with someone who doesn't have wide language abilities, remember that even these people have had all sorts of life experiences, and successes, and failures, and anything else that can be significant in any language or culture.


References: 

Badger, Emily. "Where 60 Million People in the U.S. Don't Speak English at Home." CityLab. Edgecast Networks, 6 Aug. 2013. Web. 15 Sept. 2014.
Grosjean, Francois. "Bilingualism's Best Kept Secret." Psychology Today. Harvard University Press, 1 Nov. 2010. Web. 15 Sept. 2014.
Tan, Amy. “Mother Tongue”. Originally published as “Under Western Eyes” in The Threepenny Review, 1990, pp. 315-320. Reprinted by permission. 

1 comment:

  1. This is an insightful post Amirah. It is interesting how your own perspective of this issue evolved when the proverbial tables we re turned. Your comment "I began to understand that comparing someone’s aptitude with their language skills is ignorant, but also basic human nature." is quite true. At times it can be our own education that contributes to our ignorance.

    ReplyDelete